Call us 

Winston-Salem | (336) 470-0177

Raleigh | (919) 307-6528

Charlotte | (704) 247-7529


FAQ 2 | How to File a Form 18

2. How does an injured worker file a Workers' Compensation Claim?

In order to pursue workers' compensation benefits in North Carolina, you must initiate a formal claim by filing a "Form 18" with the North Carolina Industrial Commission (the state agency that administers the workers' compensation system). The Form 18 must be filed with the Industrial Commission within two (2) years from the date of your injury--otherwise, you may be precluded from seeking medical treatment and wage-loss compensation for your injury.

If you are uncertain as to how the Form 18 should be filed, you may contact the Industrial Commission's "Helpline" at (800) 688-8349. You may also contact the Industrial Commission with questions by sending an e-mail to You should mail two (2) copies of the Form 18 to the Industrial Commission and one (1) copy to your employer. You should also keep one (1) copy for yourself. Click here to download a Form 18.

I have read the disclaimer.